Problem Materials and Major Appliances
As part of your garbage service, you may place up to a maximum of TWO large items at your collection point for pickup, at no additional charge.
- Non-recyclable, burnable, items are collected on your garbage day.
- Non-burnable, recyclable items (major appliances, items more than 50% metal, and hide-a-beds) are collected on the next business day after recycling pickup. Place these items out on your recycling week only.
- Note: Mattresses are non-recyclable if they become water logged from rain or snow. Please keep your unwanted mattresses inside until the morning of your recycling collection to prevent them from becoming non-recyclable. You may also contact Solid Waste & Recycling and let us know that you’ll be placing a mattress out the day after your recycling collection for pickup. Our customer service staff will notify the crew so that it will be picked up.
- Place items next to your garbage cart by 6a.m.
- Attach a note to each item that says “For Solid Waste”.
- Large item collection is a special service included in your monthly fee.
Please be considerate to your neighbors. Place large items out for collection no more than one day in advance. Garbage crews turn in a daily list of items to be picked up, and a special crew returns the NEXT working day to pick up your items.
If you are not sure what the correct day for a particular large item or are unsure if we would pick it up, call Solid Waste & Recycling at (612) 673-2917.
If you know we pickup the item, but are unsure of which week, put it out on your recycling day, and our crews will ensure that the correct truck gets your large item.
Donate Useable Large Items
Your trash may be someone else’s treasure. If it’s still useable, find another use for it or offer it to family, friends, neighbors or co-workers. Have a garage sale, or give to someone who is having one. You can also donate to your local church, school, secondhand store, or put it out in your yard and mark it “free”.
Post reusable items on the Twin Cities Free Market or look in the Yellow Pages under “Second Hand Stores”.
All Large Items Should be Marked for Disposal
Attach a note to each item that says “For Solid Waste”. Items that are not marked may not be collected.
Report Illegal Dumping or Abuse of this Service – Dial 311
Large item collection is a special service to our paying customers only. Dumping or using another resident’s collection point is illegal. City Ordinance 225.10 states in part: “No person shall leave, throw, or deposit, or use or permit any other person to leave, place, throw, or deposit, any substances or materials of any kind at a city solid waste collection point for city disposal when the substances or materials were generated at a location other than the residence.”
If you see any illegal dumping, anywhere in the City of Minneapolis, please write down the license number, a description of the vehicle and person involved in the dumping, and the item that was dumped. Report it by dialing 311. If you wish, your call will remain anonymous.