When is the next bulk trash pickup
Tempe has enhanced its Mixed Bulk Trash and Green Organics program to provide a more environmentally-friendly service while also reducing costs, fuel usage and vehicle emissions. The this program includes convenient mixed bulk trash collection and an optional program to recycle and compost most of your yard trimmings. Please check your area map at the link below for your collection schedule. Note to homeowners: City code states that landscapers cannot utilize alleys for disposal - only homeowners who do the work themselves can place their green waste in alleys.Tempe residents receive mixed bulk trash pickups every other month. This material is too big to fit in your regular trash bin. All of it is taken to the landfill.
- Furniture, large items
- Non-Freon appliances (washers and microwaves)
- Yard waste such as oleanders, palm fronds, bagged grass and weeds
- Green organic material that is mixed in with other bulk items (Note: This material will not be composted if mixed with bulk)
- Appliances with Freon (refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers, ac units)
- Hazardous materials (paints, oil)
- Construction and remodeling waste (drywall, flooring and roofing materials)
The city has also reinvented its Green Organics program, which turns most yard waste into nutrient-rich compost. These optional pickups will occur seasonally, in spring, fall and winter, to coincide with the growing and trimming seasons. There will be a total of 3 pickups each year. Instead of going to the landfill, this material is taken to the city’s composting facility where it is recycled.
- Tree trimmings and brush (tree limbs, branches, trunks and stumps)
- Leaves, pine needles, small hedge clippings (placed in cardboard box or compostable bag)
- Cactus clippings (placed in cardboard box)
- Grass, palm fronds and oleanders - these items do NOT compost well and should go in your bulk trash pile instead
- Bulk trash items (as listed above)
Check out this video for a closer look at the Green Organics program:
This instructional video discusses the do's and don'ts of the Mixed Bulk Trash program:
The amount of green and mixed waste allowed for each collection will be limited to approximately 10 cubic yards – picture a pile about 15 feet long, 6 feet high and 3 feet deep, OR roughly the size of a full size pickup truck bed.
WHEN TO PUT OUT YOUR MATERIAL
Items should be placed out for collection no earlier than 10 days prior to the Monday of your collection week and no later than 6 a.m. on Monday of your collection week. Residents with alleys: Please consider placing your items out the weekend immediately prior to the start of your collection week to reduce contamination and increase diversion from the landfill.
Helpful tip: Plan your major brush and bulk disposal projects around the city’s collection schedule to avoid putting out your material too early. Residents who place their material out prior to the 10-day rule are subject to fines.
Alternative Pickup Options
Need service during your off-month? Tempe residents have two convenient alternatives to curbside and alley pickup.
TRANSFER STATION (public dump)
Tempe residents have access to two transfer stations for delivering bulk trash - up to 2, 000 pounds, twice per month - at no charge:
- Sky Harbor Regional Transfer Station
2425 S. 40th Street, Phoenix
- Lone Butte Transfer Station