Garbage and recycling | Metro

Where can I Dump my trash?

Home Trash / October 11, 2019

Where can I pay my water/trash bill? Can I use my ATM or credit card to pay my water bill?
Water and trash bills can be paid via U.S. mail, dropped in the white drop-off box in the Main Library parking lot off Mar Vista Street, paid in person at City Hall, or online. We accept payment by cash, check, debit or credit cards (Visa/MC only) if you pay in person. Public Works Customer Service Division can answer most of your questions about your service, and provide copies of your bills, please call (562) 567-9530 with questions.

Will my trash be collected on holidays?

Trash, recycling and greenwaste will be collected as regularly scheduled except for the following holidays:

• New Year’s Day
• Memorial Day
• Labor Day
• Fourth of July
• Thanksgiving Day
• Christmas Day

Whenever one of these holidays occurs on a weekday, the collection schedule will be delayed one day for the remainder of the week. For example, since Thanksgiving falls on Thursday, the collection day would be moved to Friday and the collection normally made on Friday would be on Saturday. The final collection for the week would be on Saturday.

I have a question or need another copy of my water/refuse bill. Who do I call?
Public Works Customer Service Division can answer most of your questions about your service, and provide copies of your bills, please call (562) 567-9530.

How do I change my name/address/phone# on my water bill?
Public Works Customer Service Division can answer most of your questions about your service, and can process changes to your water bill, please call (562) 567-9530.

How do I get a Landfill Permit?
Landfill permits may be purchased by Whittier residents of single-family homes at the Public Works counter in City Hall. Call the City’s Customer Service Department for the permit cost. Permits are good for six dumps at the City’s landfill with a maximum of a 3/4 ton pick-up truck per load. Please bring I.D. with correct address such as a driver’s license.

I have only one load that I want to dump at the Landfill. Can I get a discount?
Special Saturday Residential Discounts entitle you to one dump per Saturday up to a 3/4 ton pick-up truck. A nominal payment is made at the Landfill Gatehouse upon entering.

What can I dump at the Landfill?
Please be aware that the landfill does not accept green waste, liquids, hazardous or toxic wastes such as full or partial cans of paint, paint thinners, solvents, automotive oil, pesticides, car batteries, bulk fluorescent light bulbs, metal drums that have one or both ends attached, electronics, including but not limited to televisions, VCRs, DVDs, radios, stereos, and tires.

, or call the City of Whittier at (562) 567-9540 for additional information. Materials accepted include:expired pharmaceuticals, fluorescent lightbulbs, paint, paint thinner, turpentine, cleaners with acid or lye, pesticides and herbicides, household and car batteries, motor oil, oil filters, brake fluid, pool chemicals, televisions, VCRs, DVDs, radios, stereos, tires, computers, monitors, printers, etc.

Where can I safely and legally dispose of old/used motor oil?
The City of Whittier provides free containers in the Public Works Department at City Hall for transporting used motor oil safely to collection centers. Click here to view a list of centers that accept used oil.

Where can I report Storm Drain Dumping?
To Report Illegal Storm Drain Dumping or to Receive Information on Storm Water Pollution - call Los Angeles County Department of Public Works (800) 303-0003.

When is the Landfill open?
The Landfill is open Monday through Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. It is closed on rainy days, New Years Day, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving Day, 4th of July and Christmas Day. Call (562) 907-7750 or (562) 698-1223 to check status after rains.