Washington DC Bulk trash
In West Georgetown
- Put your trash out near the street for early Tuesday morning and early Friday morning pickup after 6:30 p.m. the night before pickup or no later than 6:00 a.m. the morning of pickup. [See note on Holiday Schedule below.]
- Put trash in plastic bags, tie them tight & place them within a plastic or metal can with a tight-fitting lid. If you need a trash can, you may order one from the Dept of Public Works (DPW).
- Put items for recycling in a recycling bin and put out for Friday morning pickup only. Make sure to rinse/clean recycling of food residue before placing into bins. Overflow items may be put in a paper bag and placed next to the bin (no plastic bags, please!).
- Remove your cans & recycle bins from public display before 8:00 p.m. the day of pickup.
- Put your trash and recycling in your alley for early Thursday morning pickup after 6:30 p.m. Wednesday night or no later than 6:00 a.m. Thursday morning. [See note on Holiday Schedule below.]
- Take your Supercans & recycle bins in before 8:00 p.m. the day of pickup.
In West Georgetown and Burleith
- Don’t put any plastic garbage bags on the ground for pickup or corral them inside your fence or stairs. Rats and other hazards are attracted to improperly stored waste.
- Do not overstuff trash cans; lids must fit securely!
- Do not put recyclable items in plastic bags; place loose items in the recycling bin. Do not leave open recycling bins out 24/7.
- Don’t forget to remove your trash can & recycling bin from public display before 8:00 p.m. the day of pickup; do not leave them on the sidewalk or allow them to block an alleyway.
If a holiday occurs on a Monday or Tuesday, the pickup schedule will slide to Wednesday and Saturday of that week. If a holiday occurs on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, the pickup schedule will slide to Saturday. Visit DPW for more details and watch for reminders from Office of Neighborhood Life (ONL).
Bulk trash (larger items, e.g., mattresses, futons, etc.) is picked up by appointment with DPW only. To have bulk trash removed, call DPW at 311 or go online to submit a request. The only exception to this is move-in/move-out trash, which is picked up by the University at the beginning & end of the academic year. Contact ONL for more information at (202) 687.5138.
Acceptable Bulk Items
- Air conditioners (drain water and fluids)
- Hot water heaters
- Household furniture
- Major appliances, e.g., refrigerators (doors removed)
- Mattresses and box springs, bed frames
- Rugs (rolled and tied)